Skip to main content

La déesse des mouches à feu - Interview with Robin L’Houmeau

Although most of the film team of "La déesse des mouches à feu" unfortunately left the Berlinale already on Monday, I was pleased getting the opportunity to meet Robin L’Houmeau - who plays Keven in the movie - for an interview on Tuesday. I get a warm welcome when we meet at the CinemaxX and we are going to a little, cosy room in one of the Berlinale-buildings. After we chatted about the festival for a while Robin is ready for my questions.

fGR: First of all, how did you come to the movie? Did you had a personal reason to be part of it?

Robin: I came to the movie by an audition. Actually I auditioned for another character at first - for Pascal, Catherines first boyfriend in the movie. And then I ended up being chosen for the role of Keven. I hadn’t read the whole script before accepting, for me it was more a question of working with the director Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, cause I really like what she’s doing, her philosophy and her art of filmmaking. Also I knew the other actors were all great comedians in their twenties, so I was really looking for to the experience. It so happened that the story was very powerful too, and my love for the story grew from the peoples vision.

fGR: Keven has a very deep character, did you had a special preparation for this role?

Robin: I did some research on the topic of depression and unexplained suffering, and I also had some conversation with people who actually suffered from depression to have some insights of where you can go and what actually triggers an attack. Although Keven isn’t doing any of that and he’s very internal for me it was interesting to hear stories of people. I think we’re lucky because the casting was very good, all characters truly looked like us and we are the characters in real life. Fortunately I’m surrounded by amazing people who can help me deal with things Keven couldn’t.
After the technical researching it was mostly based of Anaïs’ directions and then you grow the emotion out of yourself and get the model - whatever it is Anaïs wanted to share for her story.


fGR: I really liked the character of Keven and the relationship between him and Cat. I had the feeling they were deeply connected even though they didn’t need to talk much. Did the director said something about their chemistry to you or did it just came out of the acting?

Robin:
I think it was a mix of firstly writing - because it’s super well written. So there of I got my idea of how Keven and his relationship to Cat should be. If it is well written then the person who’s playing Cat is also understanding her character and the chemistry between them to. So I guess you need to have developed some type of emotional intelligence to the point where you know about what the chemistry should be.
Also it is a big part how it is shot - so maybe if it would’ve been shot from a different lense it would’ve felt like a completely different film. So the chemistry isn’t only as the actors creating it, it is also by how the light is done, how the camera is moving, how close we are to the characters and so on. A couple of months before we shot the film we went to a cottage to bond and create connections, so Kelly Depeault, who plays Catherine, and I got to connect and became friends. In real life we also have personalities that are quite different but kind of complete each other in a way, so I’m really grateful to have worked with someone like her. But again this is question of casting: Anaïs just felt the human connection between Kelly and me and knew the chemistry would expand and reach the audience.

fGR: I really loved the music and thought it fit really well. Did you already knew while filming which songs would be used in the scenes?

Robin: We knew some of them, a few got also changed after, so we rehearsed with a complete different song in mind. But we knew most of the songs and while we were rehearsing everyone on set had the song on the ears to get in the right mood - of course we while acting, but also the cinematographer, the sound director and Anaïs. Like the version of "Rock’n’roll Suicide" when Cat und Keven are driving around in the city with the bike or the scene when Cat is dancing around the fire and becomes to the goddess of the fireflies. Anaïs also shared a lot of songs with us that weren’t in the final film to inspire us with the characters, so I had a list of songs that Keven would listen to if he’d be real.

fGR: Did you saw the film before the screening here in Berlin?

Robin:
It was the world premiere, so I don’t saw it before. There were some people of the team who did, but I didn’t want to and decided to see it here in Berlin for the first time to get all that vibe. Its a cool thing to see a film just with the crew and I definitely want to do that at some point to get that energy, but I prefer seeing the movie with the audience because for me they are a big part of the film. When I go to cinema I kind of expect everyone to be focused on the film and I love the vibe and energy you’re getting when theres something happening in the film and everyone is feeling it in the audience. For me thats one of the greatest experiences of cinema.

fGR:
Yes I think so too, thats what I love about the Berlinale audience. There so many people who want to see films with such topics that are not like the “standard-hollywood-films“.

Robin: Yes I love that too. The people want actually see the films and are not here because of glamour or something else.

fGR:
And how was it to see the film? As you expected?

Robin: I guess no. Of course you have an expectation what the film is going to be, but you aren’t on set for the whole shooting. I think the shooting was over 30 days and Kelly was there for the whole time, but I was there for just 15 days - so I didn’t know how half of the scenes were shot and what came out of the actors and directions. Like the scene where you hear the skating sounds and they’re turning into waves: when I saw that I was complete mind blowed by the creativity behind that. I was there on set and saw the skating shots, but in my mind I hadn’t the vision of something bigger. Anaïs shared with us what was necessarily, but in her mind she saw the film exactly what it should be.

fGR: Did you read the whole script or just your part?

Robin: I read the whole script once or twice and then I concentrate on my own parts. For me reading the whole thing belongs to being part of a movie. But I also had for example a tv-show in Quebec were I read nothing except for the parts that belonged to my character, because it was a very big story and for me it wasn’t necessarily important to know what happens outside of my characters world. But for a film I really prefer reading the whole script.

fGR:
How long did the whole film-project for you? And when did you shoot the film, because there was summer most of the time but there were also colder scenes?

Robin: I had the role like to or three months before we started shooting. But I know Anaïs read the book the film is based on long ago and knew like three years ago she wanted to make a film out of it. So it was a long process for her and the producer. But for me it were just the three months and then 15 days of shooting, after this I hadn’t heard or see of anything until last Saturday by the Berlinale.
I think the shooting was in July and August in 2019. But in the scenes in the end of the film it was a little colder because they shot these scenes in the beginning of spring when we knew we would make the film with this cast. We went to rehearsal and they took out the camera to try some lenses.



fGR:
Lastly I have personal question: at the Q&A on Saturday after the film you said while watching the movie you thought of how much you grew as a human being through the time - what did you exactly mean with that?

Robin:
I guess over the year I got more interested in the idea of learning more about myself as a spiritual being and how important it was to be aware of my feelings. In a bunch of things in my life I grew in a way - I started reading a lot, I changed the way I eat, the way I see life, the way that I treat my friends and myself, the amount of things I share with people and the way I am with people, also the way I dressed changed over the year. I think every year you change and when you get to see yourself on screen you know what you were thinking in this time and you recognise how much you’ve changed. I think in this year my love for the world in general grew intensely through sharing and reading books about self-exploration, buddhism and meditation. I just realised how important it was for me to give love, and once you’re starting giving it, it just expands and even tough it isn’t something you expect to get it back it does in a way just because you become so positive about life, about people, about mountains, just about all things.

I mean I’m really proud of the way my character is coming out in the film, because earlier I had much more self-criticism and now I focus on the positive things, but for me it was just a great feeling while watching the movie to see how everyone in the film grew so much through this year.

I’m really touched by this words and think there should be many more people in the world with such a beautiful view on life.

fGR: And do you want to continue with acting?

Robin: Yes I want to keep going for a while until I get interested in something else. I like the idea of doing three different big things in my life in which I’m becoming good at. And just learning as a human being and make sure to make my passage on earth as meaningful as possible for myself and the people around me. And if that means to stop acting one day I’d be open for it, but right now I’m not seeing myself doing anything else.

fGR:
Thank you yo much for the interview and your time!

I honestly didn’t expect such a honest and inspiring interview and I’m filled with a warm feeling. Because I really liked the songs in the film and couldn’t find them Robin is sharing with me the version of “Voyage Voyage“ which is played at the end. While we’re talking a bit more about the film I’m saying that I would love to see it another time to notice all the things you don’t when seeing a film for the first time. To my joy Robin gives me tickets for the last screening of "La déesse des mouches à feu" on Sunday, so that I could see it again today as my last Berlinale film this year.
After walking back to the Potsdamer Platz we say goodbye and I’m getting home to continue writing my last review - filled with joy and the feeling of love for the world I got from the interview and Robbies words.


© Laurent Guérin
© Berlinale
01.03.2020, Clara Bahrs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wind phone as an emotional escape

After Yuki & Nina in the 2009 Kplus programme, Nobuhiro Suwa returns to the Generation programme with another film. His new film Kaze No Denwa is in the 14+ programme. The day after the world premiere he takes a whole hour for Clara and me to answer our questions about the shooting process, the situation in Japan and other things. We make ourselves comfortable in the lounge of the Hotel Berlin, Berlin and exchange thoughts about Kaze No Denwa, Japan and the world with nice background music, while Isabelle kindly translates for us. Free Generation Reporters : How did the film team come together and how did you find Serena Motola, Haru's actress? Nobuhiro Suwa : It has been 18 years since I shot my last film in Japan. Since 2002, I have actually only worked with French producers. So I didn't know most of my new colleagues before. It was all very exciting and I was quite nervous, but everything went well. We did a casting for Haru, several girls showed up, but in the end

The country of possibilities?

"We want to go Disney. One ticket please." - a review of Los Lobos It is the hope that drives the family to the USA. The hope for a better life, less violence, away from the father. A mother with her two sons, who from now on have to spend their time alone in a run-down room. Samuel Kishi Leopo tells the story of his own childhood in Los Lobos, backed up by his brother's music. The brothers Maximiliano and Leonardo Nájar Márquez give an incredible performance. Due to the warm atmosphere on set and the improvisation of Martha Reyes Arias, who plays the mother, it is not difficult for the two to act completely natural. There was a script, but it served more to define the plot than for the dialogues, because Martha gave the two boys all the freedom during the shooting and adapted to it and not only implemented Samuel's instructions herself, but also transferred them to the two boys. The enthusiasm of the audience can be felt from the very first second. The U

A First Tender Rebellion

„How do you know god exists?“ Spain in the 1990s. At a Catholic school for girls, Celia finds herself on the threshold to teenage life. Slowly she and her friends get into first contact with alcohol and parties, listen to music together, smoke their first cigarette and get tips from teen magazines. However, this is resolved lovingly and gently. No excesses, nothing too dramatic. These are the first experiences of a twelve-year-old. Especially the new girl in class, Brisa from Barcelona, influences Celia. They have a lot in common, but at the same time Brisa cannot identify with the strong Catholicism, something Celia has never questioned. This lets Celia’s world crumble. She begins to question circumstances that she had previously taken for granted. A first tender rebellion begins. At home, the otherwise very intimate relationship with her single mother turns out to be increasingly difficult. Celia begins to demand more and more information about her family's background, even he