Skip to main content

"We can step out and celebrate life as well" - An interview on "H is for Happiness"

Friday night - the Q&A of the opening film "H is for happiness" is over and the audience is swarming out of the cinema, crowding around the blue photo wall to get an autograph or photo of the two talents or to just enjoy the cheerful atmosphere. In the middle of excited kids and cameras Anna and I - waiting to meet the cast and director of the film for a short interview. Finally we discover the people we are looking for and are led to director John Sheedy, who takes a little time for us.

fGR: "Congratulations to the movie. How was is for you to be the opening film of Berlinale’s Generation?"

John Sheedy: "It is such a great honour to be the opening film. We love the Berlin film-festival and I always wanted the film to be part of it, so I thought it would fit in nice in this section. It’s my first time at the Berlinale and then to be told that we are the opening was even more exciting."

fGR: "We enjoyed the landscape and nature very much. Did you know from the beginning where you wanted to shoot or was it difficult to find such a place?"

JS: "I always wanted the little sea sided town to be geographically non specific, so I like the idea that it could be picked up and placed anywhere in the world to reach an universal audience. Western Australia has some really amazing coast lines and little hidden towns, so we went on a trip for a few weeks looking for a perfect place. What I loved about Albany was that it has these beautiful boulders coming out of the ocean, the landscape and architectures same to have these timelessness and a charm. That is why it seemed to be the perfect place for me."

FGR: "Where there problems with the wild fires in Australia while you were shooting the movie?"

JS: "We filmed this about one and a half year ago, so it was before the fires. Australia suffers big fires every year in summer, but this is certainly been the worst of it for us. It says a lot about climate change and i hope what is happened in these recent fires and the effects its had sent out a big message out to the world about its really important that we must pay attention in climate change, there's no denying about that anymore!"

Of course, we agree with that completely and continue talking about the climate situation in Australia and around the world. We end up coming to the conclusion that films like "H is for happiness", which are showing such a unique nature, should be seen as an appeal to really take action now - so that we still have those landscapes in the future. But to get back to topic, we ask about the future of the film.

fGR: "How was your journey with "H is for Happiness"? Will the film be shown in other countries around the world?"

JS: "Yes, first it will go to the Malmø-filmfestival, then to Melbourne and of course other places in Australia, also to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and to Chicago in America - so its got quite a festival tour. Its been a great journey until now, its been a great film to work on. Its a film that has a fine balance of humour and sympathy, whilst we’re able to laugh and celebrate diversity and difference in people it also shows difficult moments and young people suffer from that. But its important because we sit in that difficult mindnesses, but we can step out and celebrate life as well, and thats what I love about this film."

We think those words are a beautiful summary and thank John Sheedy for his time. The young talents Daisy Axon and Wesley Patten also finished writing autographs and are open for a few questions.

fGR: "Congratulations also to you for this inspiring film. It is based on a book - did you read it before you were shooting the film?"

Daisy:
"I’ve read the book before, so I knew a lot about what Candice's world was about, but they’ve changed a few things from the book. For me it has been very special because my sister handed down the book to me and then I read it, and afterwards came the movie. It was literally my favourite book in primary school and I pictured myself while reading it. After I finished it I laid it down for a few months, and then suddenly the audition came up."

fGR: "So you went for the audition?"

Daisy: "First I did self takes at home and afterwards I got to a few auditions. My last one was in Sydney, there I met Wesley - and a few weeks later we found out we would do the acting."

fGR: "And how was you journey to the movie, Wesley?"

Wesley: "I actually never read the book. I don’t even knew there was a book before so I was actually surprised when I found out. But now I have the book at home and I start reading it. After I knew I would be Douglas I got the script and read it. I had an acting coach and she told us ways of saying words like our characters would do it. She also told us to listen to songs and stuff to get into the character."

fGR: "The language both of you had to speak in the movie is a quite technical language, was it diffucult to learn the script and pronouncing the words?"

Wesley: "I had to learn a lot of science stuff. I found it hard at first but then i catched up a little help and I did researching on the internet. And it was fun too, I learned a lot from that."

Daisy: "The way Candice’s sentences are, are quit tricky, so it took a time to practise them and I had to make beats between them to remember everything. But it’s about to apreciate so I don’t think you should change it."

fGR: "Was it your first time on set? How does it feel to see the film now on such a big screen?"

Wesley: "It’s the second film for both of us. My first film was a short film so it wasn’t as much filming as it was now, it took about two weeks and this one was much longer. To see yourself up there now is pretty cringy, to be honest."

Daisy: "Yes, its just weird. But it’s cool to see so many people from different countries, we saw Australias audience, but its so nice to come to Berlin, a great place we’ve never been before."

Then we chat a little bit about Berlin and the snowless winter here, before they have to leave. We thank and say goodbye to Daisy and Wesley, who we will remember as open-minded and really warm young people.
24.02.2020, Clara Bahrs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wind phone as an emotional escape

After Yuki & Nina in the 2009 Kplus programme, Nobuhiro Suwa returns to the Generation programme with another film. His new film Kaze No Denwa is in the 14+ programme. The day after the world premiere he takes a whole hour for Clara and me to answer our questions about the shooting process, the situation in Japan and other things. We make ourselves comfortable in the lounge of the Hotel Berlin, Berlin and exchange thoughts about Kaze No Denwa, Japan and the world with nice background music, while Isabelle kindly translates for us. Free Generation Reporters : How did the film team come together and how did you find Serena Motola, Haru's actress? Nobuhiro Suwa : It has been 18 years since I shot my last film in Japan. Since 2002, I have actually only worked with French producers. So I didn't know most of my new colleagues before. It was all very exciting and I was quite nervous, but everything went well. We did a casting for Haru, several girls showed up, but in the end

A First Tender Rebellion

„How do you know god exists?“ Spain in the 1990s. At a Catholic school for girls, Celia finds herself on the threshold to teenage life. Slowly she and her friends get into first contact with alcohol and parties, listen to music together, smoke their first cigarette and get tips from teen magazines. However, this is resolved lovingly and gently. No excesses, nothing too dramatic. These are the first experiences of a twelve-year-old. Especially the new girl in class, Brisa from Barcelona, influences Celia. They have a lot in common, but at the same time Brisa cannot identify with the strong Catholicism, something Celia has never questioned. This lets Celia’s world crumble. She begins to question circumstances that she had previously taken for granted. A first tender rebellion begins. At home, the otherwise very intimate relationship with her single mother turns out to be increasingly difficult. Celia begins to demand more and more information about her family's background, even he

The country of possibilities?

"We want to go Disney. One ticket please." - a review of Los Lobos It is the hope that drives the family to the USA. The hope for a better life, less violence, away from the father. A mother with her two sons, who from now on have to spend their time alone in a run-down room. Samuel Kishi Leopo tells the story of his own childhood in Los Lobos, backed up by his brother's music. The brothers Maximiliano and Leonardo Nájar Márquez give an incredible performance. Due to the warm atmosphere on set and the improvisation of Martha Reyes Arias, who plays the mother, it is not difficult for the two to act completely natural. There was a script, but it served more to define the plot than for the dialogues, because Martha gave the two boys all the freedom during the shooting and adapted to it and not only implemented Samuel's instructions herself, but also transferred them to the two boys. The enthusiasm of the audience can be felt from the very first second. The U