Skip to main content

„Here's looking at you, Kid!"



A comment on "Short films 1 14plus"

7 different insights, 7 different lives, people, characters and – 7 different narratives, pictures and ways to tell a story. In “Clebs”, the camera gives a still frame which shows the everyday life of dogs at a rescue station. “Panteres” stays with the two protagonists and focusses on their appearances and bodies, only a smartphone manages to divide viewer and story from each other. “Grevilla” uses a lot of cuts to show many images, not only of facial expressions but also of a kippah, hands, tattoos, it all seems very instructed. In “Black Sheep Boy” the visualization of the story is quite extreme since it is an 2D-animation, so that the picture itself is keeping the viewer distant. In “The Flame” pan shots are used to first show us the surroundings and nature and then belonging kids, people, faces, enabling me to connect the stories that are told with the home of the narrators. “Babylebbe” ’s camera makes me come really close to the characters, their faces and emotions. “Något att minnas“ is narrated with stern images.

As always after watching so many diverse short films I feel a bit confused, but at the same time that is the thing I love about those screenings, one gets shown so many different impressions all at once. And that can be quite overwhelming, especially when one has writing a review in mind. Do I want to speak about every single film and for each give an interpretation? How did I like the short films, how did they make me feel? Actually, that is, what it’s all about, right, the emotions that are getting triggered. I start to think about the movies, that moved me the most and while, of course, acting and content, characters and dialogues play a great role in creating feelings, I realize, that the camera has its great share of importance to doing so. Especially “Babylebbe” affects me quite a lot as well as “Panteres”, I am liking “The Flame” too. Those all are shorts, where the shown images stay very close to the characters and the things happening. There may be smaller things to criticize in acting or the story line but still, I have to feel for the characters just because I am forced to look them in the eyes. With “Grevilla” and “Något att minnas“ on the other hand I cannot really connect, the artistic cuts in the first one and the missing focus on the characters prevent me from understanding the protagonists. And missing emotions in the faces of animal puppets also don’t make it easy for me to follow the story. The short movie “Black Sheep Boy” though manages to move me again by using exactly this very shallow or flat narrative but at the same time absurdly combining it with meaningful dialogue and morals („I hate the night, so I’m turning all the sunflowers to try to bring back the day.“).

Long story short – of course the camera has an influence on how I am perceiving, we are talking about film here! But still, I had to become conscious of that again, since I mostly tend to focus on the content of a movie, the what and not the how. And I think, that when the camera is very close to faces and emotions, I am more likely to really get emotionally involved in a story, I am brought closer than images of a fascinating landscape or aesthetic scenes for example could bring me. What about you?

Origin of photo material: https://www.berlinale.de/de/programm/programm/detail.html?film_id=202009531&openedFromSearch=true#gallery_gallery-filmstills-1
26/02/2020, Carlotta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wind phone as an emotional escape

After Yuki & Nina in the 2009 Kplus programme, Nobuhiro Suwa returns to the Generation programme with another film. His new film Kaze No Denwa is in the 14+ programme. The day after the world premiere he takes a whole hour for Clara and me to answer our questions about the shooting process, the situation in Japan and other things. We make ourselves comfortable in the lounge of the Hotel Berlin, Berlin and exchange thoughts about Kaze No Denwa, Japan and the world with nice background music, while Isabelle kindly translates for us. Free Generation Reporters : How did the film team come together and how did you find Serena Motola, Haru's actress? Nobuhiro Suwa : It has been 18 years since I shot my last film in Japan. Since 2002, I have actually only worked with French producers. So I didn't know most of my new colleagues before. It was all very exciting and I was quite nervous, but everything went well. We did a casting for Haru, several girls showed up, but in the end

The country of possibilities?

"We want to go Disney. One ticket please." - a review of Los Lobos It is the hope that drives the family to the USA. The hope for a better life, less violence, away from the father. A mother with her two sons, who from now on have to spend their time alone in a run-down room. Samuel Kishi Leopo tells the story of his own childhood in Los Lobos, backed up by his brother's music. The brothers Maximiliano and Leonardo Nájar Márquez give an incredible performance. Due to the warm atmosphere on set and the improvisation of Martha Reyes Arias, who plays the mother, it is not difficult for the two to act completely natural. There was a script, but it served more to define the plot than for the dialogues, because Martha gave the two boys all the freedom during the shooting and adapted to it and not only implemented Samuel's instructions herself, but also transferred them to the two boys. The enthusiasm of the audience can be felt from the very first second. The U

A First Tender Rebellion

„How do you know god exists?“ Spain in the 1990s. At a Catholic school for girls, Celia finds herself on the threshold to teenage life. Slowly she and her friends get into first contact with alcohol and parties, listen to music together, smoke their first cigarette and get tips from teen magazines. However, this is resolved lovingly and gently. No excesses, nothing too dramatic. These are the first experiences of a twelve-year-old. Especially the new girl in class, Brisa from Barcelona, influences Celia. They have a lot in common, but at the same time Brisa cannot identify with the strong Catholicism, something Celia has never questioned. This lets Celia’s world crumble. She begins to question circumstances that she had previously taken for granted. A first tender rebellion begins. At home, the otherwise very intimate relationship with her single mother turns out to be increasingly difficult. Celia begins to demand more and more information about her family's background, even he